Friday, November 09, 2007

The City










Thought I would post this. It is a poem penned by my mom about Manila, but it stirs my heart for this city.

I love you mom.

j

I love my city. I love my country.

I love the throbbing heartbeat

from traffic, factories...

love the skyscrapers crammed

with humanity...

i weep for the ghettoes...

where darkness falls and the children wail

from hunger and fear

and no one cares...

i ache with affection

for the lighted windows

in the sky,

where people like me

are living out their lives.

My heart stretches out through the night smog

wondering, wondering

who they are,

what they're doing,

what their lives are like.

I love the province...

the bumpy roads, the smell of rice straw burning...

the tiny markets,

the graceful palm trees, the green mountains,

the simple cheerful folk

who would give you the shirt

off their back to help you

i giggle at the the smiles, the laughter,

the friendliness of the people and the earth

away from the city...

the thump of the ocean as she curls herself

on the shore, shaking her surfy curls

in the sunset...

the breathless heat of the noonday

and the fresh breeze of morning

i love it all...

my land, my people,

my home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sigh, my heart jumps at the words...anna