Monday, July 17, 2006

good old crazy john..

Mark 1 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by
Eugene H. Peterson

John the Baptizer

1-3The good news of Jesus Christ—the Message!—begins here, following to the letter the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Watch closely: I'm sending my preacher ahead of you; He'll make the road smooth for you. Thunder in the desert! Prepare for God's arrival! Make the road smooth and straight!

4-6John the Baptizer appeared in the wild, preaching a baptism of life-change that leads to forgiveness of sins. People thronged to him from Judea and Jerusalem and, as they confessed their sins, were baptized by him in the Jordan River into a changed life. John wore a camel-hair habit, tied at the waist with a leather belt. He ate locusts and wild field honey.

7-8As he preached he said, "The real action comes next: The star in this drama, to whom I'm a mere stagehand, will change your life. I'm baptizing you here in the river, turning your old life in for a kingdom life. His baptism—a holy baptism by the Holy Spirit—will change you from the inside out."

9-11At this time, Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. The moment he came out of the water, he saw the sky split open and God's Spirit, looking like a dove, come down on him. Along with the Spirit, a voice: "You are my Son, chosen and marked by my love, pride of my life."

so ya..this is what i read this am.. and i stopped at it..didn't read past.. wondering how this fits in with where we are going/what we are doing..
the only things i sensed, which i think were good for me was, this:

Thunder in the desert! Prepare for God's arrival! Make the road smooth and straight!

i dunno..for me, it says a few things.. where we have been, in the desert, for some of us, and perhaps in more ways than we know we are going to another desert, a desolate land where there are many thirsting, maybe there the thunder of lord will sound.. here, as we go forth, and there as we prepare the way of the lord.

the "make the road smooth and straight" part - as we follow after him, he will lead us. as we obey, as we listen, as we pray, as we follow..

and who john was... John wore a camel-hair habit, tied at the waist with a leather belt. He ate locusts and wild field honey. DANG - he was strange.. he was so different - people loved it. people will love that we are different for a reason.. be who HE has called you to be.. here in estevan, there in burnaby.. dont conform..

i'm excited. for the preparation ahead..for the thunder..for the road.. where you at?


4 comments:

Meryl said...

i've been thinking a lot about this community, i really don't know what to expect... i'm a little hesitent to be honest with where i'm at... because really i don't know you scott, darlene, zaira.. I know you all love God and have a passionate desire to build a community that reveals the heart of Jesus... or at least i hope you do... i'm assuming, no... i know you do. but to be really real, i'm nervous. I've experienced a few months of intimate community, and I think i have the same feelings now that I had when that started... afraid to let these people in, but desperate to show them that i was more than what meets the eye... how selfish.

I want to come into this a bit differently... not trying to prove myself... but by BEING myself (like what you blogged about trace) while allowing the holy spirit move me... God has really been speaking to me these past few days/weeks about do I really think He's worthy... if yes.. then why do i live in fear... why do i hold back the gifts he's given me... if He's the one who is worthy then it's only for Him - He is fully and wholly worthy and he fully and wholly holds my worth - no one else. So instead of feeling as if i need to prove myself to you guys scott, darlene and zaira, and instead of feeling like i need to do things to hold your love pj, trace, meg, er, bri - i will just be me... full of wonder, questions, misunderstandings, struggle, full of love, hope, and dreams.. I will be me, and not for my glory, because if the Lord made me this way... if he made me like this on purpose - then it's all to glorify him. I need help to walk in that tho.

tracey said...

i will walk that with you babe.. fully.

Zaira said...

the line "thunder in the desert" reminds me of the picture I saw when you guys were down here(hope you remember). Of a spring gushing out water in the middle of burnaby and then spreading out. It is dry here, and I feel like John in the book of Revelation when he says, "Even so, come, Lord Jesus!" Even so, come plant team!

Love you guys, Can't wait to hear the Thunder.

erin said...

Jesus will return for his bride, the church.. sometime. sometimes i wonder what will have to happen in the "church" before Christ can return. what if before Christ returns the church has to return to the church of Acts...

"That day about three thousand took him at his word, were baptized and were signed up. They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers. Everyone around was in awe—all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met. They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved."

what if we're gonna be part of changing the way the church looks... what if we are going to be some who prepare for God's arrival! Make the road smooth and straight!...

cool.