Monday, February 18, 2008

His love

I’m reading through a lent devotional called ‘Reliving the Passion’. I’m on the eleventh day. The passage for today is Mark 14:22-25.

“The Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed…

“The love of Jesus is utterly unaccountable – except that he is God and God is love. It has no cause in us. It reacts to, or repays, or rewards just nothing in us. It is beyond human measure, beyond human comprehension. It takes my breath away…

“The Lord Jesus, the same night that he was betrayed, took bread.

“Oh let us murmur those words, the same night, with awe. For who among us can hear them just before receiving the gift of Christ’s intimacy and not be overcome with wonder, stunned at such astonishing love?

“In the night when his people betrayed him – the night of intensest enmity – the dear Lord Jesus said, ‘This is my blood of the covenant, poured out for many.’ Then! Can we comprehend the joining of two such extremes, the good & evil together? In the night of gravest human treachery he gave the gift of himself. And the giving has never ceased…

“This is a love past human expectation. This is beyond all human deserving. This, therefore, is a love so celestial that it shall endure long & longer than we do. This is grace.”

Wow! Will I ever understand the depths of His love… I hope so… I really do.

1 comment:

Pilgrim said...

hey erin...
thanks for the post. as we chatted in our time on friday...i love this sort of stuff; thanks for 'walking' with us...and for including stuff that turns my eyes upward.
peace.
sw