Thursday, March 20, 2008

faith in humanity

Do you ever have one of those moments when your faith in humanity is restored? I really love it when that happens.

In an effort to avoid waiting six minutes for the next train, I made a mad dash up the walk way and up the escalator to jam myself on an already full train. As I was waiting for the car to empty, I was loving the fact that lots of people were getting off. Yes! No sardine car today. Just as the door was closing, an elderly gentleman on an motorized scooter pulled up to the door. The guy standing across the door from me grabbed his side of the closing door at the same time I grabbed mine to allow the scooter man to get on. It took a couple ding ding dings, (that’s the sound the intercom makes every time the door tries to close…. for those who haven’t had the pleasure of a skytrain ride ☺) but finally the scooter was on and my car was a sardine car after all.

As we approached the next stop, I watched the groups of people and the individuals around me. I was particularily intrigued by a group of about five 18ish year olds… it wasn’t their conversation that intrigued me because it wasn’t in english ☺… it was the way they seemed to be absorbed in their little circle (like most of us are when we travel in groups.)

It was clear that there were people already wondering how they were gonna get off at the next stop with scooter man blocking the door way. As we pulled up to the station, the exiting movement started. Again, something that must be experienced to get the full effect. People inching and scootching, standing and contorting so others can sit, leaving them room to stand. Gently and sometimes not so gently, making their way to the doorways for when the train comes to a stop.

On this trip, people couldn’t get to the door because of scooter man. There was agitation in the air. When the train did stop, scooter man reversed his way out of the train so the exodus could begin. The agitated people and the intriguing group of 18ish year olds were part of the group that made their way off the train, past scooter man, who was waiting to get back on.

The exodus continued. I looked at the face of scooter man. He was clearly worried about not being able to get back on before the doors closed. As the last of the exiting trickled off the train, the ding ding ding sounded. I realized scooter man hadn’t had a chance to get back on. As I reached out to grab the door so he could get back in the way of its closing, I looked up to see that someone who had gotten off was grabbing the other side of the door. I looked up to catch the eye of one of the 18ish year olds who had intrigued me before. After another couple rounds of ding ding ding, scooter man was on. I gave the 18ish year old a wave and said thanks. He didn’t have to stay, he could have walked away with the rest of his friends. He nodded in return.

The train went on its merry way, carrying me and scooter man to our destinations down the line. And the 18ish year old will never know it, but he helped restore my faith in humanity for today…. In its conscientiousness, its care, its kindness.

To all those who notice others... Thanks.

No comments: