Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hiding Place...

Psalm 22:1-7
"Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.
When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord" - and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him.
You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."


Well we've been here in Burnaby for about 9 days now and it's amazing the amount of emotion that flows through this body. From excitement, to wonderment, to fear, to doubt, to ease, to hopeful, to hopeless. And seriously I can't place my finger on just one at any given time.

Just as I've been sending out resumes, talking with managers a great deal of insecurity has been rising in me... it seems as though it never really goes away, just silences itself once in a while, but after being silenced it began to roar as I entered the city. There's so much to compare yourself to here, yet there's so much encouragement to be yourself, find your own style, say your own words, be an individual.

That's why this piece of scripture grabbed me as i was reading this morning, because i see in myself the truth and the longing that this expresses. "When I kept silent, my bones wasted away". I lose more and more of who I am when I let the sin of my insecurity own me, it causes me to shut my mouth, keep my eyes to the ground, don't make eye contact, don't let them know you're hurting, I curl my shoulders inward, cross my arms and hide behind my sunglasses. I keep myself full giftings, and full pain selfishly to myself, almost protecting both. Protecting what i hope to be real in my giftings and protecting what I know so familiarly as my pain.

But I long for the truth... I long to come to Jesus in my place of silence, as I waste away in my sin and own up to it... to bring the reality of my brokenness to the light and oh the freedom that will bring.

It says I will be covered in songs of deliverance, I will be protected from trouble and have Him be my hiding place. He who knows me fully. No longer will i have to hide myself from the world, no longer will i have to protect my gifts and my pain, what a burden to carry... but in His arms, in the hiding place where He dwells I am known fully.

My frame was not hidden from him when I was made in the secret place, when i was woven together in the depths of the earth, His eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in His book, before even one of them came to be! He knows me from beginning to end, there is nothing i can hide from him, he knows every thought, every tear, every fear, and every joy and yet with Him knowing EVERYTHING I am still safe and fully loved in His arms.

Oh Jesus help me live this, help me share this with a world that is so much like me...

5 comments:

Pilgrim said...

thanks for sharing your journey with us meryl. so glad you're finally in the city with us!!! continuing to pray for boldness like we did on saturday.
wanted to encourage you too...that God has given you an ability to articulate your heart well. i enjoy your writing...keep bringing it to the centre of our community...and adding it to our journey toward hope.
He's guiding us.
sw

tracey said...

awesome revelation babe..to all of us..as much as i feel mostly confident in my business field, when it comes to socially, i get soo incredibly insecure with the chicks and what people will think of me,cuz i'm not like them.
then i think about that statement for a minute, say a prayer and he gives me strength..cuz i'm NOT like them! :) and i'm really ok with that.

thanks for your heart here babe. much love.

erin said...

thanks meryl. for your heart, and for reminding me how easy it is for me, for us, to become who we think people want us to be rather than who God created us to be.. when of course, He knows best!

glad you're here sista!

luv ya

J said...

I love the comment you made about looking down...i was thinking about that on the train today...about how so many people don't look you in the eye...or if they do, for just a brief moment.
It is so powerful to realize that I am an ambassador of peace, looking to make eye contact and communicate that "it's ok, you are safe with me". So often our insecurity stems from a lesson we have been taught by a selfish world - that's its all about me and how i feel.
and then the voice of the King reminds me, its not about me, its about Him...and He has made it all about 'them'/others. Learning to love, for me, in this short while has become about being willing to step into my insecurity and find that He has people waiting there who need Him in me...wow.

Lani said...

so the part about, "when I kept silent my bones wasted away", made me think about when you were still in Estevan and we met as a team and were talking about how God has called you to speak up. And you are on this team for a reason, your voice is so necessary. It's so good hearing it! Just thinking about that...