Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tears


You never know what may cause them. The sight of the Pacific Ocean can do it...or a piece of music, or a face you've never seen before...or maybe one that you haven't seen in a really long time. A look. A smile. An expression. A moment. Almost any movie that has the heartbreak of loving and loosing. A high school basketball team running onto the floor at the end of game, exultant in victory...or the opposite team, broken in defeat. Two young lovers exchanging a look and a kiss on a train, or two much older lovers, exchanging a years-filled glance and a gentle caress. Memories..and dreams...you can never be sure. But of this you can be sure. Whenever you find tears in your eyes, especially unexpected tears, it is wise to pay very very close attention.
I was reading a Berenstein Bears book to Rosie this evening...and those unexpected tears came on the last page. Why? Gran and Gramps has swept brother and sister bear into their arms and were saying how thankful they were to have them as granbears(grandkids - for those of you who don't know Berenstein Bear language).
I was thinking a little later, after Rosie asked me what was wrong and I quickly moved along, that those tears tell me something about the secret of who I am. What is it that strikes the chords of my heart in such a way that I am moved to tears?
As I think about those moments, I think, more often than not, God is speaking to me through them of the mystery of where I have come from...
and is summoning me, if my heart is willing, to where I should go next.

think about that...

And maybe...if we rarely have those moments, that says something about our willingness to be moved
...maybe even moved forward?

just some thoughts.

4 comments:

Meryl said...

that's good... thanks. i face those moments often and spend more time hiding or wiping away those obviously moving or meaningful tears rather than exploring them or learning more about myself or what God is doing or has done in me through them...
thanks for the thoughts

Anonymous said...

thanks Jonathan, this past week I have been struggling with that, holding the tears back, I think I'll stop that now. . . good to hear your heart
anna

Anonymous said...

I always thought I was just a big ol' sap! Thanks for a new perspective on the whole situation! Hmmmm.....


Amanda

erin said...

that is good... makes me think of physical pain. pain indicates that something is bad (like when one of our limbs goes the wrong direction) or something is good (like when a doctor is putting that limb back into place!) without the ability to experience pain, we lose the sense of whether or not things are "right" in our body. we all know what happens when people have leprosy.. they can start parts of their body on fire and not even feel it! not good!

perhaps when we "lose" the ability to shed tears we've somehow crippled our inherent ability to know whether things are "right" in our soul. that's not to say we all need to break down and cry everytime we experience any sort of emotion but if we never even feel the urge to cry, be it about something good or sad, maybe that is an indication that something is not "right"...

i don't know... maybe i'm over analyzing :)