Thursday, April 05, 2007

It's about time...

Well, I figured its about time I sit down and type out some thoughts. Maybe that will help me process my feelings in the midst of so much change and adjusting. We received all the wonderfully creative cards you all made for us. They brought smiles to our faces...it was soooo good to be reminded of your love and support. I showed Hayley all the pictures you sent of your faces. She loved them...taking a minute to carefully look at each one (before tossing it to the side as I handed her another picture to look at). They will go on our fridge as soon as I find our magnets!?
My sister is here visiting with us this week and my dad is also staying with us while he attends some business meetings. We went to the zoo today...it was a beautiful sunny day. Hayley had fun looking at all the animals. The highlight was the lion and tiger feeding. We got to see these big cats up close and personal. Tomorrow we might venture to the beach or Stanley Park. My dad and sister leave again on Saturday. Then it will be back to studying for me!
I started work at the hospital on Monday this week. Mainly orientation and some observation, but not much hands on stuff yet. For the rest of the month I will attend classes at BCIT 2-3 times a week and be studying the rest of the time. There are 5 other girls going through this orientation training program with me. We seem to be hitting it off pretty good so far. In the limited time I have spent in the unit I will be working, it seems like a good fit for me. It will be a good challenge and allow me to develop some new knowledge and skills. Although I have to admit, there is part of me that would love to just be going back to my old job in Toronto...where I know everyone...I understand how things work...where I am trusted and respected. Starting over is harder than I had anticipated. Maybe because I have to leave Hayley....I often worry she will need me for something and I won't be there to help her. Thankfully, she is with her dad...but I still miss her and think about her often when I am away. There is also this fear that I won't be accepted by my colleagues...that I will look stupid or make a mistake. So, as usual I hide my experience and education so that people won't expect much. Then it is easier to meet their expectations....or more importantly my own. Please continue to pray for me during this time. My heart is heavy trying to adjust and also trying to understand how to engage my/His mission in this work environment and in relationship with the other girls in my orientation classes. I have also been thinking about how to engage our neighbours....not sure how to be genuine and pursue relationship with them without scarring them.
Anyway, its been so good to hear what is on your hearts through the blog. Know that you are missed and loved!

P.S. Megan...I got 100% on the assignment you helped me with!! Thanks again!!

4 comments:

Megs said...

It's good to know that everything is going for you...Even though it may seem hard to do. At least there is something always in your path. Thanks for sharing your heart, it lets me know where you are at, and the things which I know to pray for...I'm excited that you are getting 100 in your assignments! Whoo Hooo! Thanks for letting me be a part of your schooling.
Love you Darlene, and thanks again!
Keep updating!

Meryl said...

it's really good to hear from you Dar, thanks for sharing all of that. I'll be praying for you scott, and hayley, that God would strengthen all of you and put peace in your heart that would overflow about the steps you are taking for relationship as well as for your family.
love you
meryl

J said...

Dar(ls)...chuckle.
I thought about just saying this in person...but chose rather to allow others to be a part of this. I am very thankful that you have given us the priviledge of journeying with you. Watching you stretch and grow...and learning that you have weakness and need as well. Part of what the Lord has been continually calling me to is that true relationship and community means that I allow people close enough to see my brokenness and give them the permission to challenge/call me to wholeness(cuz more often its easier to remain in my pain). Thank you for choosing to start that journey.
pj

breefer said...

i responded before and then it didnt post so i got slightly angered and shut the computer off but i thought i better say a bit of what I wrote before.
i dont really remember what I wrote but the gist was, i think its important for people to see areas we dont have it all together or are uncomfortable in, it makes us real. a lot easier said then done though. You will be accepted by your colleagues because you are a great person so get out there and have fun in your new adventure.
bri