Tuesday, April 03, 2007

To The Called...from Burnaby

The following is an email I just sent to roughly 500 email addresses. People from all over the world that I have been writing to for several years...thought i would put it here as well...as it is all about Burnaby.

To the called,
It has been a while since I have written. I know. If you don't know, we have been in major transition. If you don't know what I am talking about check out
www.missionburnaby.com
It will give you the low down.

I wanted to share with you a couple thoughts. The following is something that found its beginnings in my heart in an article written by Bob Roberts in Leadership Magazine...and as we have begun this journey, I have been chewing, wrestling, adding, subtracting, tweaking, and just being me...

sooooo...this begins to describe the journey that we are on as we plant the dream of His Church in the hearts of people in Vancouver.

May it stir you.

pushing,
pj

11 Things I Am Learning

I'm learning...
that mission begins with Christology, the person of Jesus Christ, not ecclesiology, the dream of the Church. Following Jesus leads us to mission, which leads to the church gathering.

I'm unlearning...
my assumption that starting churches naturally leads to mission. It doesn't. Churches default to self-focus unless a commitment to be like Jesus living passionately in the world comes first.

I'm learning...
that truly living as the community of faith means decentralizing power, decision making, information, all of it. The kingdom of God means ministry opportunities are available to almost everyone.

I'm unlearning...
the western church's traditional focus on a super-star speaker, worship leader, educator, and shepherd, which serves mainly to attract spectators rather than igniting the passion for mission that is to be the mark of His people.

I'm learning...
that we serve not to convert but because we have been converted. We serve because Christ has changed us and made us servants to people who are hurting and lost...and far from home.

I'm unlearning...
the assumption that 'Christian' is defined primarily as acknowledging a moment of conversion. Becoming a follower of Jesus depends on what happens after that, and after that, and after that, and after that....

I'm learning...
to love people, which means to see them healed, healthy, educated, and given the same opportunities that we have.

I'm unlearning...
that the Christian faith is all about heaven. I believe the Church has denied the future by just waiting for the Second Coming. We need a story that is lived out today and that includes the future.

I'm learning...
the kingdom will be established not by human power or entertainment, but by realizing God's concern for humanity and the whole of society.

I'm unlearning...
that conversion always happens in a moment. I believe more and more in redemptive movement. It's where the Spirit of God uses us, as His people, to teach people the way of Jesus. And somewhere in their journey towards His heart and discovery of His way, they meet the Truth that can set them free.

I'm learning...
that He truly is in control...and it's ok when I am not.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Hello everyone on Mission Burnaby! Some of you may not know me, and some of you will, but I just spent the last couple hours reading through posts of the past year and I am so encouraged in my spirit, the journey you are on is so vital to the Kingdom of God and I want to thank you all for taking the steps of faith, and for caring. I pray for you all daily, and I'm excited to hear all of what God is doing in and through you all.

PJ Thanks for this post, it spoke more to me than I could express in words.

God Bless,
Ashley Bakke

Pilgrim said...

sigh...
am stretched again in my heart. am challenged to search for christ...the Godman who sparked what i've come to know as the church. anyone else ever think that much of what you've known is the church...and not purely christ?
sitting here without a 'traditional' or programmed church to fall back on really pulls my heart into the questions, 'who is jesus? who do i really say i believe in? am i in love with Him? is it HIM that i miss?' am drawn into the idea that this mission WE'RE on...for me means that i must learn to follow jesus...love Him...be wholly devoted to Him. nothing else can completely make things new.
scott

J said...

well i have to say pj. you think way too much. but you do inspire me.
jonathan.